There is a lot of sharing in my Facebook feed from sayings, quotes, slogans and inspirational. But there was a checklist that touched my heart. It was an Alzheimer Communication checklist. I tried to figure out the logo that’s at the bottom right hand corner, something about Alzheimers Care __ Center? I was not successful.
But this could also be an approach to mentally ill people. People who are depressed, bipolar, children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or even post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Speak with empathy.
1. Never argue, instead agree
2. Never reason, instead divert
3. Never shame, instead distract
4. Never lecture, instead reassure
5. Never say “remember”, instead reminisce
6. Never say “I told you”, instead repeat/ regroup
7. Never say “You can’t”, instead do what they can
8. Never command/ demand, instead ask/ model
9. Never condescend, instead encourage
10. Never force, instead reinforce.